Friday, May 18, 2007

And this ain't either!

A grand for this upright? I don't think so. Surely the dirges for half-wits that were thumped out on it devalue it??

1 Comments:

Blogger James Nicholls said...

Yes, but fools and their money are easily parted when it comes to abominable pianos. George Michael paid nearly £1.5 million for the piano on which John Lennon penned the most smug, sanctimonious, platitudinous pile of self-aggrandising horse shit ever consigned to magnetic tape. You know which song I mean! I say magnetic tape because I had the misfortune today to have the comeback CD by Yusuf "don't call me Cat" Islam fall into my earshot (don't ask me how!). Suffice to say that few have managed to combine high sanctimony and utter musical banality with quite such aplomb as the good Mr Islam just has. Sadly, it is no great advert for his adopted faith that 30 years after bowing out with such lyrical highs as 'I'm being followed by a moonshadow' and 'Matthew and Son, the work's never done', Cat - sorry Yusuf (note that the 'Islam' has been tactfully removed by a some paranoid record exec), returns with lines such as 'I have dreamt of a place and time where nobody gets annoyed / But I must admit, I'm not there yet.' No Yusuf - and neither am I after being subjected to your appalling claptrap this morning. Whatever the Koran taught Mr Stevens, it certainly wasn't poetic bloody insight (similarly a close encounter with Jesus had Bob Dylan penning great lines like 'God gave names to all the animals / In the beginning / In the beginning.'). I find I have strayed from my original rant about pianos which should have been incinerated at dawn. Sorry about that. Still: I would like to know if (gospel-influenced stuff aside) religion has ever been known to produce decent modern music. I'm not counting reggae, because even at its best the 'righteous' (i.e. bong-befuddled Bible-bashing gobbledygook) element was always its worst trait. Suggestions anyone?
Oh, and on that (bum) note, could I put in a plea to Rowan on behalf of myself and Colin to please recommend some decent new music. Something. Anything. I think Col may pen a more articulate post on this subject, but I may as well get a pitch in early. I'm come back from a year long escape into classical (itself caused by desperation in the face of an ever more hapless search for recent music that I actually liked) , but now I'm as lost as Jose Mourinho's scotty dog. :-(

9:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home